Sphere: Related Content

Friday, October 31, 2008

Still an Undecided Voter? Listen to Colin Powell's Reasoning

Share

Quick RSS Subscription Links

Sometimes I write commentary and this is the time for commentary. I have been taking a little break, except for a brief review, and a joke or two, but now that the election is so close, I think it's time for me to say something definitive.

I've mostly just made fun of Bush. As  comic, that's been fun. As the worst President in US history he's given me a lot of material. I hope not to have so much material with the next US president.

I am so upset, myself about the situation in this country, it's made it hard to write comedy lately, especially, given how hard things have been for Americans. Making fun of bear markets, foreclosures, students who can't pay for school have left a bad taste in my mouth.

The increasing rancor in this election has been even worse. I think if nothing else, that would have pushed me over the edge. Not since Nixon have we seen the kind of dirty tricks politics that I have been seeing in this election. Calling Obama a terrorist, allowing calls for his death. What decade is this, 1960? These kinds of things are unforgivable. I lived through the riots of the 1960's. The national guard was posted in a park one block away from my apartment when I was eight. I don't want to see a generation of the kids who are in high school right now, girls and boys now, drafted and sent to Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Korea and Russia to die under McCain and that is the future I see.

I also see enormous hypocrisy on some of his key issues, the pro-life agenda for one. With all the years of Republican administrations there have been no effective pro-life programs funded that would really make a difference in creating wide-scale options to reduce the number of abortions because they were anti-Republican in nature. If they really cared about the issue the way they say they do, there could have been programs beyond abstinence. Programs for funding education for single mothers of children without husbands, programs for paying for hospital and day-care costs, programs for helping to expand adoptions services. Making abortion illegal was not the only way to go. Did they try to do anything like that. No. Not through Reagan, Bush Sr., Bush Jr. and we can darn well expect nothing of the like to happen with McCain either. Anyone who expects anything different is fooling themselves.

Why? Because the Republican Party is all about taking away options and not giving anything back. That's how I feel about it. Taking away scholarship options, taking away funding of transit, taking away anything that helps individuals.

I don't know what is going to happen in this election. I don't know what Obama is going to do. But I think he is our best chance for a recovering economy. Our best chance for peace. Our best chance for education and a hundred other issues. And yes, if you are a pro-life person who wants alternatives to abortion, I think he is your best chance to get them funded too. In fact, I think its now, or NEVER.

So, listen to what Retired General Colin Powell has to say. I was very impressed. He summarizes a lot of what I felt. I was very surprised that he bought into the Weapons of Mass Destruction debacle. I was pleased to hear him admit his mistake later. He's one of the few Republicans I would vote for, for President, because of his integrity and his clear sense of personal honor.  I hope he gets Sec Def back.

And don't be offended by my political opinions. I respect yours. You have a right to them. Just don't expect me to approve any comments with hate in them. And to the military. I support you. I just wish you were home with your families. Tomorrow.




Powell Interview on Meet the Press, Part I
Opening thoughts, his history and knowledge of the candidates.





Powell Interview on Meet the Press, Part II
Troubled by the "Muslim" issue when Obama is a Christian. The commitment and death of Muslim-American Soldiers in Iraq.
His Endorsement for President, who he will vote for in the election.
The William Ayers issue. Connecting Obama to Ayers is a "terrible stretch its demagogory".




Powell Interview on Meet the Press, Part III
"It is not easy for me to disappoint Senator McCain in the way that I have this morning...I think we need a transformational figure, a transformational Change, and that's why I am supporting Senator Barrack Obama."



But whoever you support, don't forget to vote!

Peter, Chief Editor and Spelling Wrecker
The Peter Files Blog of Comedy, Jokes, Satire, Commentary and Videos


Http://ThePeterFiles.blogspot.com


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

===> We love comments about our posts good or bad!

Please make comments by clicking on the word "Comments"!

Click on the Envelope to forward posts to your friends! Thank you! The staff.


6 Comments:

Blogger Sammy-Bo-Bammy said...

OMG Peter if you bring pizza my daughter and i will NEVER leave ha ha yes the fully sick moves are coming just haven't loaded them onto the computer yet haha
yes we are flying back in to O'hare i'll give you more details soon...keep in touch :)
Lorelai xx

11/01/2008 5:21 AM  
Blogger Sammy-Bo-Bammy said...

hey peter
Rory and i woukd love to meet you there if you are prepared to bring coffee-lots of it!
Rory will comment you when we have dates on when we are coming home.

yer those fully sick moves are coming! just loading on the computer...

keep in touch :)
talk l8r

Lorelai xx

11/02/2008 4:25 PM  
Blogger Rory_842 said...

Hey,

Sounds like you're having an alright time. We'll have to come round and have pizza sometime, how does Friday sound? Hope that's ok. We will try and come and see one of your shows but if we can't then you can film it and we will watch it sometime. We did do an absentee vote and I was happy with my desision althought Lorela took none of it seriously. She was mucking about the whole time.

Can't wait to get to our next stop! Hope we you can come to pizza!

Rory

11/02/2008 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Peter, I'm Pheobe Bouffette. You might know me from a tv series called friends. Where abouts are you travelling? I'm going all around the world, if you want to follow me, my blogger adress is www.pheobebouffette.blogspot.com
Im a friend of Rory gilmore.

11/02/2008 7:32 PM  
Blogger Rory_842 said...

Hey Peter,
It is Rory again. Just letting you know that there are a few people that I would like you to follow. First is my bestie Bella at http://twilightisthebest-iluvtaylorlautner.blogspot.com, she has recently been in a movie called Twilight that is coming to cinemas in December. It should be really good.

Rory

11/02/2008 9:28 PM  
Blogger Monica Bing said...

hey peter
It is monica bing here.
Follow me on....
http://monicabingtravelthing.blogspot.com
hope to talk to you soon
cya monica!

11/02/2008 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


New Peter Files Blog Selected Comedy Videos!


Day By Day - - Copyright 2007 by Chris Muir, All Rights Reserved
Don't miss this sale! Amazon.com takes 50% Off 100 Plus DVD's & Sets!


Using this search box supports this blog at no cost to you! Just start all your Amazon purchases with a search in this box!